From Dior to Céline and Calvin Klein, the season has been expressing a keen fondness for the desert rose aesthetic – fringe, studs, thigh high silhouettes, and revamped cowboy boots practically ruled the Spring 2018 runways. For her final show with Céline, Phoebe Philo unveiled high fashion’s most entrancing remake of the elevated Western trend that made waves along the catwalk when she brought out a black lambskin trench coat, hand-embroidered and embellished with shells. It was the complete epitome of the new way to wear the visual of the all-American cool girl: less rodeo cowgirl, more Rodeo Drive.
It girls like Kendall Jenner and Selena Gomez have been sporting the Western trend in their street style outfits a lot lately and the best thing is, it’s centered on textures and prints rather than elaborate layering that some trends are focused on. Kendall’s Calvin Klein Western shirt could even be found at vintage stores.
photo from Who What Wear
Taking inspiration from the streets, here’s a few ways you can rock the Western trend:
PICK A STATEMENT JACKET
photo from Collage Vintage
- The key to an effortlessly stylish look is a grand statement piece as a highlight to your entire ensemble. Take a fringe jacket and pair it with basic pieces such as a white tee and a leather mini for an edgy take to the Desert Rose.
MIX IT UP
photo from OC Style Report
- Unexpected combinations make for an interesting assemblage. Just when you thought you couldn’t wear the menswear-inspired stylings of an oversized denim jacket with diaphanous feminine dresses, think again. Mixing up Western elements with other trends give your look a characteristic feel.
ADD IN COLOR
photo from Elle Spain
- Just because it’s Western, doesn’t mean that you have to strictly adhere to cowgirl elements. A Western belt paired with a pleated maxi oozes Southwestern style already but adding in brightly colored boots and a multi-tone top to the look screams modern and versatile.
THE BOOTS HAVE IT
from Man Repeller
- One of the main staples of the Western trend is a pair of cowgirl boots. While you may think it’s cliché but there are actually a number of ways to wear it and translate it into a more modern approach. A printed mini dress with a suit blazer can easily put a workwear spin or pair white cowgirl boots with high-waisted blue jeans ala Kaia Gerber at Off-White SS18.
DON’T WORRY ABOUT BEING TOO POLISHED
from OC Style Report
– Don’t get it twisted, you don’t always have to look feminine and polished for this trend to look high fashion-worthy. You can take the basics and combine them for an elevated look – a knit rollneck with a checked button-down (sleeves rolled up) can add personality, as well as high-waisted denim accessorized with a belt.
Read more: 3 of The Biggest Trends To Wear Now